Numerical Analysis of Crack Progress in Different Areas of a Friction Stir Welded Bead for an 5251 H14 Aluminum Alloy Specimen
The assemblies welded by Friction Stir Welding have a major advantage which is the absence of a metal filler. This process contributes to the welding of materials that are known to be difficult to weld using the conventional techniques often employed in the field of transport, for example in the automobile body by applying a spot welding. The numerical modeling of this type of process is complex, not only in terms of the variety of physical phenomena which must be considered, but also because of the experimental procedure that must be followed in order to verify and validate numerical predictions. In this work, a finite element model is proposed in order to simulate the crack propagation under monotonic loading in different areas of the weld seam of a strain hardening CT-50 aluminum alloy 5251H14 specimen.
W. M. Thomas, E. D. Nicholas, J. C. Needham, M. G. Murch, P. Temple-Smith P, C. J. Dawes, “Friction-stir butt weldin”, G.B. Patent No. 9125978.8, International patent application No. PCT/GB92/02203, 1991
M. Ericsson, R. Sandstrom, “Influence of welding speed on the fatigue of friction stir welds and comparison with MIG and TIG”, International Journal of Fatigue, Vol. 25, No. 12, pp. 1379–1387, 2003
P. M. G. P. Moreira, A. M. P. de Jesus, A. S. Ribeiro, P. M. S. T. de Castro, “Assessment of the fatigue behaviour of friction stir welded joints: aluminum alloy 6082-T6”, Key Engineering Materials, Vol. 348–349, pp. 209–212, 2007
P. M. G. P. Moreira, A. M. P. de Jesus, A. S. Ribeiro, . M. S. T. de Castro, “Fatigue crack growth in friction stir welds of 6082-T6 and 6061-T6 aluminium alloys: a comparison, “, Theoretical and Applied Fracture Mechanics, Vol. 50, No. 2, pp. 81-91, 2008
Y. Kobayashi, M. Sakuma, Y. Tanaka, K. Matsuoka, “Fatigue strength of friction stir welding joints of aluminium alloy 6082 extruded shape”, Welding International, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 18–24, 2007
J. D. Costa, J. A. M. Ferreira, L. P. Borrego, “Influence of spectrum loading on fatigue resistance of AA6082 friction stir welds”, International Journal of Structural Integrity, Vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 122–134, 2011
K. V. Jata, K. K. Sankaran, J. J. Ruschau, “Friction-stir welding effects on microstructure and fatigue of aluminum alloy 7050-T7451”, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, Vol. 31, No. 9, pp. 2181–2192, 2000
A. L. Etter, T. Baudin, N. Fredj, R. Penelle, “Recrystallization mechanisms in 5251 H14 and 5251 O aluminum friction stir welds”, Materials Science and Engineering: A, Vol. 445-446, pp. 94-99, 2007
G. Busu, P. E. Irving, “The role of residual stress and heat affected zone properties on fatigue crack propagation in friction stir welded 2024-T351 aluminium joints”, International Journal of Fatigue, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 77–88, 2003
B. Bouchouicha, Contribution à l’étude de la déchirure ductile et de la propagation des fissures en fatigue dans les joints soudés, Thèse de doctorat, Djillali Liabes University of Sidi Bel Abbes, 2007
C. Genevois, “Genesis of the microstructures during friction stir welding of aluminium alloys of the serie 2000 and 5000 and resulting mechanical behavior” (Genèse des microstructures lors du soudage par friction malaxage d'alliages d'aluminium de la série 2000 & 5000 et comportement mécanique résultant), Thèse de doctorat, Institut National Polytechnique de Grenoble, 2004.
M. Mazari, “Caractérisation mécanique des assemblages soudés par friction malaxage”, WORKSHOP: Mécanique et Matériaux de la Microstructure à la structure: Approches Expérimentales & Simulations Numériques, Mascara, 2010
J. Souto Grela, E. B. Blanco Viana, D. Martinez, E. Piñeiro, “Numerical simulation in welding process: optimizing structures with sequence and inertial study”, Matériaux & Techniques, Vol. 100, pp. 317–326, 2012
E. Feulvarch, Modélisation numérique du soudage par friction-malaxage, Thèse de doctorat de l’Université de Saint Etienne, 2005
M. Merzoug, Etude paramétrique du soudage par friction malaxage, Thèse de doctorat, Djillali Liabes University of Sidi Bel Abbes, 2011
MetricsAbstract Views: 251
PDF Downloads: 37
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain the copyright and grant the journal the right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) after its publication in ETASR with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- N. Selini, M. Elmeguenni, M. Benguediab, Effect of the Triaxiality in Plane Stress Conditions. Triaxiality Effect in a PVC Material , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 3 No. 1 (2013): February, 2013
- S. A. Reffas, M. Elmeguenni, M. Benguediab, Analysis of Void Growth and Coalescence in Porous Polymer Materials. Coalescence in Polymer Materials , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 3 No. 3 (2013): June, 2013
- S. Zengah, A. Aid, M. Benguediab, Comparative Study of Fatigue Damage Models Using Different Number of Classes Combined with the Rainflow Method , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 3 No. 3 (2013): June, 2013
- A. Djebli, A. Aid, M. Bendouba, A. Talha, N. Benseddiq, M. Benguediab, S. Zengah, Uniaxial Fatigue of HDPE-100 Pipe. Experimental Analysis , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 4 No. 2 (2014): April, 2014
- M. Bendouba, A. Aid, M. Benguediab, Fatigue Life Prediction of Composite Under Two Block Loading , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 4 No. 1 (2014): February, 2014
- D. Benarbia, M. Benguediab, S. Benguediab, Two-dimensional Analysis of Cracks Propagation in Structures of Concrete , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 3 No. 3 (2013): June, 2013