Two-dimensional Analysis of Cracks Propagation in Structures of Concrete
In this article we present a numerical simulation that allows describing and studying the damage of concrete works subjected to various stress types. In this study, the propagation of cracks in the concrete is analyzed as of their appearance, which requires having a thorough knowledge of the mechanical behavior of the material. The mechanical approach which leads to better understanding of fracture phenomena and can give satisfactory results, is that of the elastic linear mechanics of failure. The interest in this study is focused in the development processes of the cracks from a phenomenological point of view. The analysis is carried out by using fracture criteria while being based on the determination of the critical stress intensity factors, for each case of the several elaborate tests of indirect tensile per bending and Brazilian Disc. The analysis is carried out in a two-dimensional medium by the finite element method by using the ABAQUS software. The results obtained are compared with experimental data obtained analytically from other authors.
P. Droz, Modèle numérique du comportement non-linéaire d’ouvrages massifs en béton non armé, Thesis EPFL No. 682, Lausanne, 1987
B. Karihaloo, Fracture mechanics and structural concrete, Longman Scientific & Technical, New York, 1995
J. Wang, Development and application of a Micromechanics-based numerical approach for the study of crack propagation in concrete, Thèse de Doctorat de l’EPFL No. 1233, Lausanne, 1994
J. M. Berthelot, J. L. Robert, “Damage evaluation of concrete test specimens related to failure analysis”, Journal of Engineering Mechanics, Vol. 116, No. 3, pp. 587-604, 1990
M. Matallah, C. La Borderie, “Modélisation numérique de l’ouverture des fissures dans les structures en béton”, Rencontres Universitaires de Génie Civil, Bordeaux, France, 2007
G. Bilbie, Modélisation multi-échelle de l’endommagement et de la rupture dans les milieux (quasi-) fragiles (Multiscale modelling of damage and fracture in (quasi-) brittle media), PhD Thesis, Université Joseph-Fourier - Grenoble I, 2007
M. Jirasek, “Non local damage mechanics with application in concrete”, Revue Européenne de Génie Civil, Failure, Degradation and Instabilities, Vol. 8, pp. 683-707, 2004
J. Mazard, Application de la mécanique de l’endommagement au comportement non linéaire et à la rupture du béton de structure, Thesis, Université Paris 6, France, 1984
S. Kumar, S. V. Barai, “Size-effect of fracture parameters for crack propagation in concrete: a comparative study”, Computers and Concrete, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 1-19, 2012.
B. Qi, Influence de l’endommagement sur les propriétés d’élasticité de matériaux modèles: approche numérique et expérimentale (Damage influence for elastic properties of model materials: numerical and experimental approaches), PhD Thesis, Université de Limoges, France, 2009
V. E. Saouma, Interactive Finite element analysis of reinforced concrete: a fracture mechanics approach, Cornell University, 1981
T. Fett, D. Munz, Stress intensity factors and weight functions for special crack problems, Computational Mechanics Publications, 1997
Bulletin Officiel Fascicule n° 62; Titre I - Section I Règles techniques de conception et de calcul des ouvrages et constructions en béton armé suivant la méthode des états limites BAEL 91 révisé 99 AVRIL 1999
A. Krayani, “Contributions a la modélisation non linéaire du comportement mécanique du béton et des ouvrages en béton armé et précontraint”, PhD Thesis, Nantes, France, 2007
R.C. Yu, X. X. Zhang, G. Ruiz, “Numerical modeling of dynamic crack propagation in reinforced concrete”, Anales de la Mecánica de Fractura, Vol 1, pp. 295-300, 2007
A. Hillerborg, M. Modeer, P. E. Petersson, “Analysis of crack formation and crack growth in concrete by means of fracture mechanics and finite elements”, Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp. 773-781, 1976
H. N. Atahan, M. A. Tasdemir, C. Tasdemir, N. Ozyurt, S. Akyuz, “Mode I and mixed mode fracture studies in brittle materials using the Brazilian disc specimen”, Materials and Structures. Vol. 38, No. 3, pp. 305-312, 2005
MetricsAbstract Views: 250
PDF Downloads: 24
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain the copyright and grant the journal the right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) after its publication in ETASR with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- N. Selini, M. Elmeguenni, M. Benguediab, Effect of the Triaxiality in Plane Stress Conditions. Triaxiality Effect in a PVC Material , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 3 No. 1 (2013): February, 2013
- S. A. Reffas, M. Elmeguenni, M. Benguediab, Analysis of Void Growth and Coalescence in Porous Polymer Materials. Coalescence in Polymer Materials , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 3 No. 3 (2013): June, 2013
- S. Zengah, A. Aid, M. Benguediab, Comparative Study of Fatigue Damage Models Using Different Number of Classes Combined with the Rainflow Method , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 3 No. 3 (2013): June, 2013
- A. Djebli, A. Aid, M. Bendouba, A. Talha, N. Benseddiq, M. Benguediab, S. Zengah, Uniaxial Fatigue of HDPE-100 Pipe. Experimental Analysis , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 4 No. 2 (2014): April, 2014
- M. Bendouba, A. Aid, M. Benguediab, Fatigue Life Prediction of Composite Under Two Block Loading , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 4 No. 1 (2014): February, 2014
- Y. Kambouz, M. Benguediab, B. Bouchouicha, Numerical Analysis of Crack Progress in Different Areas of a Friction Stir Welded Bead for an 5251 H14 Aluminum Alloy Specimen , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 4 No. 1 (2014): February, 2014