Effect of River Indus Sand on Concrete Tensile Strength
In the development of Pakistan construction industry, the utilization of River Indus sand in concrete as fine aggregate has expanded tremendously. The aim of this research is to study the effect of Indus River sand on the tensile strength of various grades of concrete when it is utilized as fine aggregate. Concrete Samples of M15, M20 and M25 grade concrete were cured for 7, 14, 21 and 28 days. Based on the results, it is found that concrete became less workable when Indus river sand was utilized. It is recorded that tensile strength of concrete is decreased from 5% up to 20% in comparison with hill sand. The results were derived from various concrete grades.
E. Aprianti S., “A huge number of artificial waste material can be supplementary cementitious material (SCM) for concrete production – a review part II”, Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 142, No. 4, pp. 4178-4194, 2017
Z. Li, Advanced Concrete Technology, John Wiley and Sons Inc., 2011
A. M. Neville, Properties of concrete, Prentice Hall, 2011
J. P. McLaughlin, K. B. Woods, R. C. Mielenz, N. C. Rockwood, “Distribution, production, and engineering characteristics of aggregates, section 16”, in: Highway Engineering Handbook, McGraw-Hill, 1960
C. S. Poon, Z. H. Shui, L. Lam, H. Fok, S. C. Kou, “Influence of Moisture States of Natural and Recycled Aggregates on the Slump and Compressive Strength of Concrete”, Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 34, No. 1, pp. 31-36, 2004
A. Omoregie, O. E. Alutu, “The Influence of Fine Aggregate Combinations on Particle Size Distribution, Grading Parameter, and Compressive Strength of Sandcrete Blocks”, Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering, Vol. 33, No. 10, pp. 1271-1278, 2006
A. D. Raval, A. Pamnani, A. I. Kachwala, “Foundry sand: utilization as a partial replacement of fine aggregate for establishing sustainable concrete”, International Journal of Engineering Sciences & Research Technology, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 308-311, 2015
D. R, Bhimani, J. Pitroda, J. J. Bhavsar, “Used foundry sand: opportunities for development of ecofriendly low cost concrete”, International Journal of Advanced Engineering Technology, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 63-66, 2013
D. Chaurasiya, K. Koli, S. Chaudhari, V. More, P. C. Satpute, “Utilization of foundry sand: An Art to replace fine sand with Foundry Sand”, International Journal on Theoretical and Applied Research in Mechanical Engineering, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 44-48, 2016
K. P. Salokhe, D. B. Desai, “Application of Foundry sand in manufacture of concrete”, Second International Conference on Emerging Trends in Engineering (SICETE), Jaysingpur, India, pp. 43-48, 2015
MetricsAbstract Views: 393
PDF Downloads: 170
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain the copyright and grant the journal the right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) after its publication in ETASR with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- S. Sohu, A. A. Jhatial, K. Ullah, M. T. Lakhiar, J. Shahzaib, Determining the Critical Success Factors for Highway Construction Projects in Pakistan , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 8 No. 2 (2018): April, 2018
- S. Sohu, A. H. Abdullah, S. Nagapan, A. A. Jhatial, K. Ullah, I. A. Bhatti, Significant Mitigation Measures for Critical Factors of Cost Overrun in Highway Projects of Pakistan , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 8 No. 2 (2018): April, 2018
- I. A. Bhatti, A. H. Abdullah, S. Nagapan, N. B. Bhatti, S. Sohu, A. A. Jhatial, Implementation of Building Information Modeling (BIM) in Pakistan Construction Industry , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 8 No. 4 (2018): August, 2018
- M. T. Lakhiar, S. Sohu, I. A. Bhatti, N. Bhatti, S. A. Abbasi, M. Tarique, Flexural Performance of Concrete Reinforced by Plastic Fibers , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 8 No. 3 (2018): June, 2018
- A. R. Sandhu, M. T. Lakhiar, A. A. Jhatial, H. Karira, Q. B. Jamali, Effect of River Indus Sand and Recycled Concrete Aggregates as Fine and Coarse Replacement on Properties of Concrete , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 9 No. 1 (2019): February, 2019