Quality Analysis of Urea Plant Wastewater and its Impact on Surface Water Bodies
This study was conducted on the canal water that flows besides an urea manufacturing facility. The study focused to evaluate the impact of facility’s effluents. The canal water quality is being affected drastically due to heavy load of pollutants discharged. Samples were collected by grab sampling method, from various locations. These samples were analyzed regarding physiochemical parameters, i.e. temperature, pH, TDS, TSS, BOD5, COD, heavy metals (Fe, Cu, Cr, Mn) and NH3 content. The canal water quality deteriorates after receiving a substantial load of effluents discharged from urea fertilizer plant. The results compared with WHO and NEQS, showed that the effluent samples had alkaline nature with a high level of ammonia and BOD5 and are not safe for aquatic life and environment. It is therefore recommended that discharge of untreated effluents should be stopped, or allowed within safe limits.
K. Saeed-ur-Rehman, A. Wahid, R. B. Tareen, S. A. Kakar, M. Tariq, S. A. Kayani, “Impact of municipal waste water of Quetta city on biomass, physiology and yield of canola (Brassica napus L.)”, Pakistan Journal of Botany, Vol. 42, No. 1, pp. 317–328, 2010
D. Balabanic, M. Filipic, A. K. Klemencic, B. Zegura, “Raw and biologically treated paper mill wastewater effluents and the recipient surface waters: Cytotoxic and genotoxic activity and the presence of endocrine disrupting compounds”, The Science of Total Environment, Vol. 574, pp. 78–89, 2017
M. A. Khattak, N. Ahmed, M. A. Qazi, A. Izhar, S. Ilyas, M. N. Chaudhary, M. S. A. Khan, N. Iqbal, T. Waheed, “Evaluation of ground water quality for irrigation and drinking purposes of the areas adjacent to Hudiara Industrial Drain, Lahore, Pakistan”, Pakistan Journal of Agricultural Sciences, Vol. 49, No. 4, pp. 549–556, 2012
M. H. Islam, M. Rahman, F. U. Ashraf, “Assessment of water quality and impact of effluents from fertilizer factories to the Lakhya River”, International Journal of Water Resources and Environmental Engineering, Vol. 2, No. 8, pp. 208–221, 2010
R. Shyamala, M. Shanthi, P. Lalitha, “Physicochemical Analysis of Borewell Water Samples of Telungupalayam Area in Coimbatore District, Tamilnadu, India”, E-Journal of Chemistry, Vol. 5, No. 4, pp. 924–929, 2008
M. B. Pescod, Wastewater treatment and use in agriculture - FAO irrigation and drainage paper 47, FAO, 1992
A. M. Abdel-Satar, M. H. Ali, M. E. Goher, “Indices of water quality and metal pollution of Nile”, The Egyptian Journal of Aquatic Research, Vol. 43, No. 1, pp. 21-29, 2017
J. N. Halder, M. N. Islam, “Water Pollution and its Impact on the Human Health”, Journal of Environment and Human, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 36–46, 2015
Ministry of Environment and Forest, The Environment Conservation Rules, 1997, Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh, Ministry of Environment and Forest, 1997
M. A. Mallin, V. L. Johnson, S. H. Ensign, T. A. MacPherson, “Factors contributing to hypoxia in rivers, lakes, and streams”, Limnology and Oceanography, Vol. 51, No. 1, part 2, pp. 690–701, 2006
R. B. Geerdink, R. S. van den Hurk, O. J. Epema, “Chemical oxygen demand: Historical perspectives and future challenges”, Analytica Chimica Acta, Vol. 961, pp. 1–11, 2017
WHO, Guidelines for Drinking-Water Quality, WHO, 2011
F. B. Eddy, “Ammonia in estuaries and effects on fish”, Journal of Fish Biology, Vol. 67, No. 6, pp. 1495–1513, 2005
M. Oliver, “Soil, food security and human health: a review”, European Journal of Soil Science, Vol. 66, No. 2, pp. 257-276, 2015
PDF Downloads 134
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain the copyright and grant the journal the right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) after its publication in ETASR with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- D. K. Bangwar, A. Saand, M. A. Keerio, M. A. Soomro, N. Bhatti, Development of an Amorphous Silica from Rice Husk Waste , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 7 No. 6 (2017): December, 2017
- M. A. Soomro, M. A. Keerio, M. A. Soomro, D. K. Bangwar, 3D Centrifuge Modeling of the Effect of Twin Tunneling to an Existing Pile Group , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 7 No. 5 (2017): October, 2017
- M. A. Soomro, D. K. Bangwar, M. A. Soomro, M. A. Keerio, 3D Numerical Analysis of the Effects of an Advancing Tunnel on an Existing Loaded Pile Group , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 8 No. 1 (2018): February, 2018
- M. A. Soomro, A. S. Brohi, M. A. Soomro, D. K. Bangwar, S. A. Bhatti, 3D Numerical Modeling of Pile Group Responses to Excavation-Induced Stress Release in Silty Clay , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 8 No. 1 (2018): February, 2018
- S. R. Samo, N. Bhatti, A. Saand, M. A. Keerio, D. K. Bangwar, Temporal Analysis of Temperature and Precipitation Trends in Shaheed Benazir Abad Sindh, Pakistan , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 7 No. 6 (2017): December, 2017
- A. N. Laghari, Z. A. Siyal, D. K. Bangwar, M. A. Soomro, G. D. Walasai, F. A. Shaikh, Groundwater Quality Analysis for Human Consumption: A Case Study of Sukkur City, Pakistan , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 8 No. 1 (2018): February, 2018
- M. A. Soomro, K. F. Memon, M. A. Soomro, A. Memon, M. A. Keerio, Single Pile Settlement and Load Transfer Mechanism due to Excavation in Silty Clay , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 8 No. 1 (2018): February, 2018
- A. Saand, M. A. Keerio, D. K. Bangwar, Effect of Soorh Metakaolin on Concrete Compressive Strength and Durability , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 7 No. 6 (2017): December, 2017
- A. N. Laghari, W. Rauch, M. A. Soomro, A Hydrological Response Analysis Considering Climatic Variability: Case Study of Hunza Catchment , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 8 No. 3 (2018): June, 2018
- D. K. Bangwar, M. A. Soomro, N. A. Laghari, M. A. Soomro, A. A. Buriro, Improving the Bond Strength of Rice Husk Ash Concrete by Incorporating Polymer: A New Approach , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 8 No. 1 (2018): February, 2018