A Compact Tri-Band Bandpass Filter with High Out-of-Band Rejection
This paper presents a planar tri-band bandpass filter with high out-of-band rejection over a wide band. The filter is based on two pairs of λ/4 resonators embedded inside an open loop ring resonator without any size increase, where each pair of resonators are electromagnetically coupled to each other and the feedlines. This results in the excitations of passbands, where the first passband is generated by the open loop resonators. The second and the third passbands are excited by λ/4 resonators. The proposed technique provides sufficient degrees of freedom to control the center frequency and bandwidth of the three passbands independently. In addition, the six transmission zeros created around the passbands results in a tri-band filter with high selectivity, sharp 3 dB cut-off frequency, high isolation, low passband insertion-loss and high out-of-band harmonic rejection across an ultra-broadband frequency range up to 17 GHz. The proposed technique has the ability to switch from triple to dual band by removing one pair of the inner resonators. Design methodology and simulation results of the filter are provided.
C. F. Chen, T. Y. Huang, R. B. Wu, “Design of dual- and triple passband filters using alternately cascaded multiband resonators”, IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 9, pp. 3550–3558, 2006
C. H. Lee, C. I. G. Hsu, H. K. Jhuang, “Design of a new Tri-band microstrip BPF using combined quarter-wavelength SIRs”, IEEE Microw. Wire. Compon. Lett., Vol. 16, No. 11, pp. 594–596, 2006
C. I. G. Hsu, C. H. Lee, Y. H. Hsieh, “Tri-band bandpass filter with sharp passband skirts designed using tri-section SIRs”, IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 19–21, 2008
Q. X. Chu, X. M. Lin, “Advanced triple-band bandpass filter using tri-section SIR”, Electron. Lett., Vol. 44, No. 4, pp. 295–296, 2008
H. W. Liu, Y. Wang, X. M. Wang, J. H. Lei, W. Y. Xu, “Compact and High selectivity tri-band bandpass filter using multimode stepped-impedance resonator”, IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 23, No. 10, pp. 536–538, 2013
L. Gao, J. Xiang, Q. Xue, “Novel compact tri-band bandpass filter using multi-stub-loaded resonator”, Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 50, pp. 139–145, 2014
X. Y. Zhang, L. Gao, Z. Y. Cai, X. L. Zhao, “Novel tri-band bandpass filter using stub-loaded short-ended resonator”, Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 40, pp. 81–92, 2013
Y. Peng, L. Zhang, Y. Leng, J. Guan, “A compact tri-band passband filter based on three embedded bending stub resonators”, Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 37, pp. 189– 197, 2013
M. Farhat, B. S. Virdee, "Dual-Band Bandpass Filter Using Open-Loop Resonators”, IEEE Proceedings of Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, Melbourne, pp. 1054 – 1057, December 5-8, 2011
M. Farhat, B. S. Virdee, K. U. Ahmed “Novel Microstrip Bandpass Filter With Ultra-Wide Stopband”, German Microwave Conference, pp. 29-32, March 12-14, 2012
MetricsAbstract Views: 481
PDF Downloads: 105
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain the copyright and grant the journal the right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) after its publication in ETASR with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- L. Caccetta, M. Alameen, M. Abdul-Niby, An Improved Clarke and Wright Algorithm to Solve the Capacitated Vehicle Routing Problem , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 3 No. 2 (2013): April, 2013
- M. Abdul-Niby, M. Farhat, M. Abdullah, A. Nazzal, A Low Cost Automated Weather Station for Real Time Local Measurements , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 7 No. 3 (2017): June, 2017
- M. Farhat, J. Munisami, M. Abdul-Niby, M. Nahas, A Compact Quint-Band Bandpass Filter Based on Stub-Loaded Resonators , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 7 No. 3 (2017): June, 2017
- M. Abdul-Niby, M. Alameen, O. Irscheid, M. Baidoun, H. Mourtada, A Hands-Free Obstacle Detection and Avoidance System , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 5 No. 3 (2015): June, 2015
- Μ. Μ. Alomari, M. S. Widyan, M. Abdul-Niby, A. Gheitasi, Hopf Bifurcation Control of Subsynchronous Resonance Utilizing UPFC , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 7 No. 3 (2017): June, 2017
- M. Abdul-Niby, M. Alameen, H. Baitie, A Simple Phase Shifting Technique for an Injection Locked Oscillator , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 6 No. 6 (2016): December, 2016
- M. Abdul-Niby, M. Alameen, A. Salhieh, A. Radhi, Improved Genetic and Simulating Annealing Algorithms to Solve the Traveling Salesman Problem Using Constraint Programming , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 6 No. 2 (2016): April, 2016