Design and Performance Analysis of Multi-tier Heterogeneous Network through Coverage, Throughput and Energy Efficiency
The unprecedented acceleration in wireless industry strongly compels wireless operators to increase their data network throughput, capacity and coverage on emergent basis. In upcoming 5G heterogeneous networks inclusion of low power nodes (LPNs) like pico cells and femto cells for increasing network’s throughput, capacity and coverage are getting momentum. Addition of LPNs in such a massive level will eventually make a network populated in terms of base stations (BSs).The dense deployments of BSs will leads towards high operating expenditures (Op-Ex), capital expenditure (Cap-Ex) and most importantly high energy consumption in future generation networks. Recognizing theses networks issues this research work investigates data throughput and energy efficiency of 5G multi-tier heterogeneous network. The network is modeled using tools from stochastic geometry. Monte Carlo results confirmed that rational deployment of LPNs can contribute towards increased throughput along with better energy efficiency of overall network.
D. Muirhead, M. Ali Imran, K. Arshad, “A Survey of the Challenges, Opportunities and Use of Multiple Antennas in Current and Future 5G Small Cell Base Stations”, IEEE Access, vol. 4, pp. 2952-2964, 2016
S. Provider, W. Papers, “Cisco Visual Networking Index: Global Mobile Data Traffic Forecast Update, 2015–2020 White Paper”, Cisco, 2016
J. Zhu, “Energy Efficiency Analysis of Cellular Downlink Transmission with Network Coding over Rayleigh Fading Channels", KSII Transactions on Internet and Information Systems, Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 446-458, 2013
K. Davaslioglu, R. D. Gitlin, “5G green networking: Enabling technologies, potentials, and challenges”, 2016 IEEE 17th Annual Wireless and Microwave Technology Conference (WAMICON), pp. 1-6, USA, 2016
S. Buzzi, C. I. T. Klein, H. Poor, C. Yang, A. Zappone, “A Survey of Energy-Efficient Techniques for 5G Networks and Challenges Ahead”, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 697-709, 2016
J. D. Power, 2016 U.S. Wireless Smartphone Satisfaction Study Volume 1, 2016
K. Huang, X. Zhou, “Cutting the last wires for mobile communications by microwave power transfer”, IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 53, No. 6, pp. 86-93, 2015
A. Fehske, G. Fettweis, J. Malmodin, G. Biczok, "The global footprint of mobile communications: The ecological and economic perspective", IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 49, No. 8, pp. 55-62, 2011
A. Shabbir, H. R. Khan, S. A. Ali, S. Rizvi, “A Stochastic Geometrical Approach for Performance Analysis of Heterogeneous Cellular Network”, International Journal of Computer Science and Information Security, Vol. 14, No. 8, pp. 467-475, 2016
Research Focus Magazine, Why the EU is betting big on 5G, Digital Single Market, 2016.
G. Auer, V. Giannini, C. Desset, I. Godor, P. Skillermark, M. Olsson, M. Imran, D. Sabella, M. Gonzalez, O. Blume, A. Fehske, "How much energy is needed to run a wireless network?", IEEE Wireless Communications, Vol. 18, No. 5, pp. 40-49, 2011
D. Feng, C. Jiang, G. Lim, L. Cimini, G. Feng , G. Li, “A survey of energy-efficient wireless communications”, IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 167-178, 2013
S. Verdu, “On channel capacity per unit cost”, IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Vol. 36, No. 5, pp. 1019-1030, 1990
D. Lister, “An operator’s view on green radio”, the Proc. IEEE Int. Workshop on Green Communications, 2009
G. Rittenhouse, “Green Wireless Networks”, IEEE WCNC, Paris, France, 2012
M. Haenggi, Stochastic Geometry for Wireless Networks. Cambridge University Publishers, 2012
M. Haenggi, J. G. Andrews, F. Baccelli, O. Dousse, M. Franceschetti. “Stochastic geometry and random graphs for the analysis and design of wireless networks”, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 27, No. 7, 2009
K. Huang, J. G. Andrews, “A stochastic-geometry approach to coverage in cellular networks with multi-cell cooperation”, IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference, GLOBECOM 2011, Nepal, 5-9 Dec. 2011
PDF Downloads 141
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain the copyright and grant the journal the right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) after its publication in ETASR with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- S. Khan, S. A. Ali, J. Sallar, Analysis of Children’s Prosodic Features Using Emotion Based Utterances in Urdu Language , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 8 No. 3 (2018): June, 2018
- M. A. Siddiqui, S. A. Ali, N. G. Haider, Reduced Feature Set for Emotion Based Spoken Utterances of Normal and Special Children Using Multivariate Analysis and Decision Trees , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 8 No. 4 (2018): August, 2018
- A. Samad, A. U. Rehman, S. A. Ali, Performance Evaluation of Learning Classifiers of Children Emotions using Feature Combinations in the Presence of Noise , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 9 No. 6 (2019): December, 2019