Investigation of Leakage Current Waveforms Recorded in a Coastal High Voltage Substation
Leakage current monitoring is a widely employed technique to monitor the performance of outdoor insulation. The evaluation of leakage current waveforms recorded in the field, offers significant information since insulation’s performance is strongly linked with local conditions, and the waveforms’ shape correlate to different types of surface activity. In this paper, an investigation of leakage current waveforms recorded in a 150 kV coastal Substations suffering which suffers intense marine pollution is presented. Investigation of the recorded waveforms verified the basic waveform shapes described in the literature. Further, several variations of the basic types and complex waveforms, as well as field related waveforms, are presented. The need for added categorization criteria in the case of field measurements is discussed.
CIGRE SC 33 TF 33.04.01, “Polluted insulators: a review of current knowledge”, Technical Brochure No. 158, 2000
N. Yoshimura, S. Kumagai, S. Nishimura, “Electrical and environmental aging of silicone rubber used in outdoor insulation”, IEEE Trans. Dielectr. Electrical Insulat., Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 632–650, 1999
H. Hillborg, U. W. Gedde, “Hydrophobicity changes in silicone rubbers”, IEEE Trans. Dielectr. Electrical Insulat., Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 703–717, 1999
K. Siderakis, D. Agoris, “Performance of RTV silicone rubber coatings installed in coastal systems”, Electr. Power Syst. Res., Vol. 78, No. 2, pp. 248-254, 2008
K. Siderakis, D. Pylarinos, E. Thalassinakis, I. Vitellas, E. Pyrgioti, “Pollution maintenance techniques in coastal high voltage installations”, Eng. Technol. Appl. Sci. Res., Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 1-7, 2011
D. Pylarinos, K. Siderakis, E. Pyrgiot, “Measuring and analyzing leakage current for outdoor insulators and specimens”, Rev. Adv. Mater. Sci., Vol. 29, No. 11, pp. 31-53, 2011
D. Pylarinos, K. Siderakis, E. Pyrgioti, E. Thalassinakis, I. Vitellas, “Monitoring leakage current waveforms in the field”, DEMSEE 5th international conference and technical exhibit on Deregulated Electricity Market issues in South-Eastern Europe, Sitia, Greece, 2010
D. Pylarinos, K. Siderakis, E. Thalassinakis, I. Vitellas, E. Pyrgioti, “Recording and managing field leakage waveforms in Crete - installation, measurement, software development and signal processing”, IEEE 16th International Conference on Intelligent System Application to Power Systems, Hersonissos, Greece, 2011
D. Pylarinos, K. Siderakis, E. Pyrgioti, E. Thalassinakis, I. Vitellas, “Impact of noise related waveforms on long term field leakage current measurements”, IEEE Trans. Dielectr. Electr. Insul., Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 122-129, 2011
D. Pylarinos, “A custom-made MATLAB based software to manage leakage current waveforms”, Eng. Technol. Appl. Sci. Res., Vol. 1, No. 2, pp. 36-42, 2011
M. Otsubo, T. Hashiguchi, C. Honda, O. Takenouchi, T. Sakoda, Y. Hashimoto, “Evaluation of insulation performance of polymeric surface using a novel separation technique of leakage current”, IEEE Trans. Dielectr. Electrical Insulat, Vol. 10, No. 6, pp. 1053–1060, 2003
Waluyo, P. M. Pakpahan, Suwarno, M.A. Djauhari, “Study on leakage current waveforms of porcelain insulator due to various artificial pollutants”, World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, Vol. 32, pp. 293–298, 2007
M. A. R. M. Fernando, S. M. Gubanski, “Leakage current patterns on contaminated polymeric surfaces”, IEEE Trans. Dielectr. Electrical Insulat., Vol. 69, No. 5, pp. 688–694, 1999
M. Sato, A. Nakajima, T. Komukai, T. Oyamada, “Spectral Analysis of Leakage Current on contaminated insulators by auto regressive method”, Conference on Electrical Insulation and Dielectric Phenomena, Annual Report, pp. 64–66, 1998
MetricsAbstract Views: 435
PDF Downloads: 54
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain the copyright and grant the journal the right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) after its publication in ETASR with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- K. Siderakis, D. Pylarinos, E. Thalassinakis, I. Vitellas, E. Pyrgioti, Pollution Maintenance Techniques in Coastal High Voltage Installations , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 1 No. 1 (2011): February, 2011
- D. Pylarinos, A Custom-made MATLAB Based Software to Manage Leakage Current Waveforms , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 1 No. 2 (2011): April, 2011
- D. Pylarinos, K. Siderakis, E. Pyrgioti, E. Thalassinakis, I. Vitellas, Automating the Classification of Field Leakage Current Waveforms , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 1 No. 1 (2011): February, 2011