Modeling a Distributed Power Flow Controller with a PEM Fuel Cell for Power Quality Improvement
Electrical power demand is increasing at a relatively fast rate over the last years. Because of this increasing demand the power system is becoming very complex. Both electric utilities and end users of electric power are becoming increasingly concerned about power quality. This paper presents a new concept of distributed power flow controller (DPFC), which has been implemented with a proton exchange membrane (PEM) fuel cell. In this paper, a PEM fuel cell has been simulated in Simulink/MATLAB and then has been used in the proposed DPFC model. The new proposed DPFC model has been tested on a IEEE 30 bus system.
S. Masoud Barakati, Α. Khoshkbar Sadigh, Ε. Mokhtarpour, “Voltage Sag and Swell Compensation with DVR Based on Asymmetrical Cascade Multicell Converter”, North American Power Symposium (NAPS), pp.1–7, 2011
M. A. Hannan, Α. Mohamed, “PSCAD/EMTDC Simulation of Unified Series-Shunt Compensator for Power Quality Improvement”, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 1650-1656, 2005
A. L. Olimpo, E. Acha, “Modeling and analysis of custom power systems by PSCAD/EMTDC”, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 266–272, 2002
P. Pohjanheimo, E. Lakervi, “Steady state modeling of custom power components in power distribution networks”, IEEE Power Engineering Society Winter Meeting, Vol. 4, pp. 2949–2954, 2000
C. Spiegel, Pem Fuel Cell Modeling And Simulation Using Matlab, Elsevier, 2011
G. Bucci, E. Fiorucci, F. Ciancetta, F. Veglio, “Experimental Characterization and Modeling of PEM Fuel Cells under Dynamic Load Variations”, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 75–84, 2010
M. A. R. Sadig Al-Baghdadi, “Modelling of Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell Performance Based on Semi-Empirical Equations”, Renewable Energy, Vol. 30, No. 10, pp. 1587-1599, 2005
M. Uzunoglu, M. S. Alam, “Dynamic Modelling, Design and Simulation of a Combined PEM Fuel Cell and Ultra capacitor System for Stand- Alone Residential Application”, IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 21, No. 3, pp. 767-775, 2006
J. Padulles, G. W. Ault, J. R. McDonald, “An Approach to the Dynamic Modeling of Fuel CellCharacteristics for Distributed Generation Operation”, IEEE-PES Winter Meeting, Vol. 1, pp.134-138, 2000
C. Wang, M. H. Nehrir, S. R. Shaw, “Dynamic model and model validation for PEM fuel cells using electrical circuits”, IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 442–451, 2005
J. Rabi, R. Arumugam, “Harmonics study and comparison of Z-source inverter”, The American Journal of Applied Sciences, Vol. 2, No. 10, pp. 1418–1426, 2010
A. Ajam, B. Soulat, A. Safari, “A Novel Modelling and Controlling of Distributed Power Flow Controller (DPFC) Base on PSO Algorithm”, ECTI Transactions on Electrical Engineering, Electronics and Communications, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 1-8, 2014
A. Jamshidi, S. Masoud Barakati, M. Moradi Ghahderijani, “Impact of Distributed Power Flow Controller to ImprovePower Quality Based on Synchronous Reference Frame Method”, IACSIT International Journal of Engineering and Technology, Vol. 4, No. 5, pp. 581-585, 2012
MetricsAbstract Views: 422
PDF Downloads: 174
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain the copyright and grant the journal the right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) after its publication in ETASR with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- J. Chakravorty, S. Shah, H. N. Nagraja, ANN and ANFIS for Short Term Load Forecasting , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 8 No. 2 (2018): April, 2018
- J. Chakravorty, G. Sharma, V. Bhatia, Analysis of a DVR with Molten Carbonate Fuel Cell and Fuzzy Logic Control , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 8 No. 2 (2018): April, 2018
- J. Chakravorty, G. Sharma, DVR with Modified Y Source Inverter and MCFC , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 9 No. 1 (2019): February, 2019
- J. Chakravorty, J. Saraswat, Deciding Optimal Location of DPFC in Transmission Line Using Artificial Algae Algorithm , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 9 No. 2 (2019): April, 2019
- J. Chakravorty, J. Saraswat, Improving Power Flow Capacity of Transmission Lines Using DPFC with a PEM Fuel Cell , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 9 No. 6 (2019): December, 2019