Preventive Maintenance Interval Prediction: a Spare Parts Inventory Cost and Lost Earning Based Model
In this paper, some preventive maintenance parameters in manufacturing firms were identified and used to develop cost based functions in terms of machine preventive maintenance. The proposed cost based model considers system’s reliability, cost of keeping spare parts inventory and lost earnings in deriving optimal maintenance interval. A case of a manufacturing firm in Nigeria was observed and the data was used to evaluate the model.
B. S. Dhillon, Engineering Maintenance: A Modern Approach , CRC Press. Boca Raton FL, 2002
M. G. Sobamowo, S. O. Ismail, S. J. Ojolo, A. A. Adebayo, “Optimal preventive maintenance models for steam turbines: a case study of egbin thermal station, Lagos, Nigeria”, International Journal of Mechanical Computational and Manufacturing Research, Vol. I, No. 1, pp 6-11, 2012
M. M. Srinivasan, H. S. Lee, “Production-inventory systems with preventive maintenance”, IIE Transactions, Vol. 28, No. 11, pp. 879–890, 1996.
R. D. Meller, D. S. Kim, “The impact of preventive maintenance on system cost and buffer size”, European Journal of Operational Research Vol. 95, No. 3, pp. 577-591, 1996
C. Chareonsuk, N. Nagarur, M. T. Tabucanon, A multicriteria approach to the selection of preventive maintenance intervals, International Journal of Production Economics, Vol. 49, No. 1, pp. 55-64, 1997
K. L. Cheung, W. H. Hausman, “Joint determination of preventive maintenance and safety stocks in an unreliable production environment”, Naval Research Logistics Vol. 44, No. 3, pp. 257–272, 1997
T. Dohi, H. Okamura, S. Osaki, “Optimal control of preventive maintenance schedule and safety stocks in an unreliable manufacturing environment”, International Journal of Production Economics Vol. 74, No. 1-3, pp. 147–155, 2001
K. Das, R. S. Lashkari, S. Sengupta, “Machine reliability and preventive maintenance planning for cellular manufacturing systems”, European Journal of Operations Research Vol. 183, No. 1, pp. 162-180, 2007
M. S. Talukder, G. M. Knapp, “Equipment assignment to multiple overhaul blocks in series system”, Journal of Quality in Maintenance Engineering, Vol. 8, No. 4, pp.319-330, 2002
A. Crespo Márquez, The Maintenance management framework: models and methods for complex systems maintenance, Springer Series in Reliability Engineering. Springer-Verlag. Berlin, 2007
J. P. Kenne, A. Gharbi, M. Bei, “Age-dependent production planning and maintenance strategies in unreliable manufacturing systems with lost sale”, European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 178, No. 2, pp. 408-420, 2007
I. T. Castro, “A model of imperfect preventive maintenance with dependent failure modes”, European Journal of Operational Research Vol. 196, No. 1, pp. 217–224, 2009
G. V. Ojeih, Development of a combined opportunity cost and reliability model for preventive maintenance interval determination, MSc project, unpublished, 2012
S. Afefy, “Maintenance Planning Based on Computer-Aided Preventive Maintenance Policy”, International Multi conference of Engineers and Computer Scientists (IMECS), Hong Kong, March 14-16, 2012
S. N. Mirabedini, H. Mina, S. H. Iranmanesh, “Multi-objective optimization research on multi parallel machine with different preventive maintenance planning and scheduling with genetic algorithm”, International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, Vol. 2, No. 12, 2012
F. Y. Ming, M. S. Chien, C. L. Ming, H. L. Hsu, C. T. Wei, “Integrated inventory model with decreasing probability of imperfect maintenance in a supply chain”, International Multi conference of Engineers and Computer Scientists (IMECS), Hong Kong, March 13-15, 2013
MetricsAbstract Views: 363
PDF Downloads: 622
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain the copyright and grant the journal the right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) after its publication in ETASR with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- O. E. Charles-Owaba, V. Oladokun, O. Okunade, Development of the Contiguous-cells Transportation Problem , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 5 No. 4 (2015): August, 2015
- B. O. Odedairo, V. Oladokun, Relevance and Applicability of Multi-objective Resource Constrained Project Scheduling Problem: Review Article , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 1 No. 6 (2011): December, 2011