Delignification of Rice Husk by Microwave Assisted Chemical Pretreatment
Rice husk has the potential to be used as a source of alternative energy e.g. as biofuel. Its high lignin content, however, poses difficulty to this use. This study investigates the use of microwave assisted acidic and alkaline pretreatment methods to improve the characteristics of rice husk for energy production. The use of microwave assisted 3.5% NaOH provided optimum pretreatment of rice husk; the lignin content was reduced from 17.8 to 10.2%, the cellulose content increased from 38.6 to 59.3% and the C/N ratio was within the optimum range of 25-35. The results showed enhanced potential of biofuel production from rice husk by this pretreatment.
M. Fatih Demirbas, M. Balat, H. Balat, “Biowastes-to-biofuels”, Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 52, No. 4, pp. 1815-1828, 2011
C. Escamilla-Alvarado, E. Ríos-Leal, M. T. Ponce-Noyola, H. M. Poggi-Varaldo, “Gas biofuels from solid substrate hydrogenogenic–methanogenic fermentation of the organic fraction of municipal solid waste”, Process Biochemistry, Vol. 47, No. 11, pp. 1572-1587, 2012
UNEP, Converting Waste Agricultural Biomass into a Resource, United Nations Environmental Programme, Osaka/Shiga, Japan, 2009
R. Chandra, H. Takeuchi, T. Hasegawa, “Methane production from lignocellulosic agricultural crop wastes: A review in context to second generation of biofuel production”, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 1462-1476, 2012
K. Starr, G. Villalba, X. Gabarrell, “Upgraded biogas from municipal solid waste for natural gas substitution and CO2 reduction–A case study of Austria, Italy, and Spain”, Waste Management, Vol. 38, pp. 105-116, 2015
A. T. W. M. Hendriks, G. Zeeman, “Pretreatments to enhance the digestibility of lignocellulosic biomass”, Bioresource Technology, Vol. 100, No. 1, pp. 10-18, 2009
T. -C. Hsu, G. -L. Guo, W. -H. Chen, W. –S. Hwang, “Effect of dilute acid pretreatment of rice straw on structural properties and enzymatic hydrolysis”, Bioresource Technology, Vol. 101, pp. 4907-4913, 2010
Y. C. Park, J. S. Kim, “Comparison of various alkaline pretreatment methods of lignocellulosic biomass”, Energy, Vol. 47, pp. 31-35, 2012
L. S. Monte, V. A. Escócio, A. M. F. de Sousa,C. R. G. Furtado, M. C. A. M. Leite, L. L. Y. Visconte, E. B. A. V. Pacheco, “Study of time reaction on alkaline pretreatment applied to rice husk on biomass component extraction”, Biomass Conversion and Biorefinery, Vol. 8, No. 189, 2018
C. J. Chang, V. K. Tyagi, S. –L. Lo, “Effects of microwave and alkali induced pretreatment on sludge solubilization and subsequent aerobic digestion”, Bioresource Technology, Vol. 102, pp. 7633-7640, 2011
S. Zhu, Y. Wu, Z. Yu, J. Liao, Y. Zhang, “Pretreatment by microwave/alkali of rice straw and its enzymic hydrolysis”, Process Biochemistry, Vol. 40, pp. 3082-3086, 2005
W. H. Chen, Y. –J. Tu, H. –K. Sheen, “Disruption of sugarcane bagasse lignocellulosic structure by means of dilute sulfuric acid pretreatment with microwave-assisted heating”, Applied Energy, Vol. 88, pp. 2726-2734, 2011
Y. Chen, Y. Zhu, Z. Wang, Y. Li, L. Wang, L. Ding, X. Gao, Y. Ma, Y. Guo, “Application studies of activated carbon derived from rice husks produced by chemical-thermal process--a review”, Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, Vol. 163, No. 1, pp. 39-52, 2011
A. Abbas, S. Ansumali, “Global potential of rice husk as a renewable feedstock for ethanol biofuel production”, BioEnergy Research, Vol. 3, pp. 328-334, 2010
T. N. Ang, G. C. Ngoh, A. S. M. Chua, “Comparative study of various pretreatment reagents on rice husk and structural changes assessment of the optimized pretreated rice husk”, Bioresource Technology, Vol. 135, pp. 116-119, 2013
S. Banerjee, R. Sen, R. Pandey, T. Chakrabarti, D. Satpute, B. S. Giri, S. Mudliar, “Evaluation of wet air oxidation as a pretreatment strategy for bioethanol production from rice husk and process optimization”, Biomass Bioenergy, Vol. 33, pp. 1680-1686, 2009
W. Shi, J. Jia, Y. Gao, Y. Zhao, “Influence of ultrasonic pretreatment on the yield of bio-oil prepared by thermo-chemical conversion of rice husk in hot-compressed water”, Bioresource Technology, Vol. 146, pp. 355-362, 2013
M. Nikzad, K. Movagharnejad, G. D. Najafpour, F. Talebnia, “Comparative studies on effect of pretreatment of rice husk for enzymatic digestibility and bioethanol production”, International Journal of Engineering, Vol. 26, pp. 455-464, 2013
R. R. Sluiter, C. Scarlata, J. Sluiter, D. Templeton, Determination of Extractives in Biomass. National Renewable Energy Laboratory, 2005
M. P. da Rosa, P. H. Beck, D. G. Müller, J. B. Moreira, J. S. da Silva, A. M. M. Durigon, “Extraction of organosolv lignin from rice husk under reflux conditions”, Biological and Chemical Research, pp. 87-98, 2017.
Faber, FABER Microwave Oven Instruction Manual, Model: FMO 7020
A. Sluiter, B. Hames, R. Ruiz, C. Scarlata, J. Sluiter, D. Templeton, D. Crocker, Determination of structural carbohydrates and lignin in biomass, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, U. S. Department of Energy, 2012
A. Sluiter, B. Hames, D. Hyman, C. Payne, R. Ruiz, C. Scarlata, J. Sluiter, D. Templeton, J. Wolfe, Determination of total solids in biomass and total dissolved solids in liquid process samples, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, U. S. Department of Energy, 2008
A. Sluiter, B. Hames, R. Ruiz, C. Scarlata, J. Sluiter, D. Templeton, Determination of ash in biomass laboratory analytical procedure (LAP), National Renewable Energy Laboratory, U. S. Department of Energy, 2008
W. Mussoline, G. Esposito, A. Giordano, P. Lens, “The anaerobic digestion of rice straw: a review”, Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Technology, Vol. 43, No. 9, pp. 895-915, 2013
P. C. Badger, “Ethanol from cellulose: a general review” in: Trends in New Crops and New Uses, ASHS Press, Alexandria, 2002
A. W. Khan, T. M. Trottier, G. B. Patel, S. M. Martin, “Nutrient requirement for the degradation of cellulose to methane by a mixed population of anaerobes”, Journal of General Microbiology, Vol. 112, pp. 365-372, 1979
MetricsAbstract Views: 408
PDF Downloads: 187
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain the copyright and grant the journal the right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) after its publication in ETASR with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- M. M. Tunio, M. R. Luhur, Z. M. Ali, U. Daher, Performance and Emission Analysis of a Diesel Engine Using Linseed Biodiesel Blends , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 8 No. 3 (2018): June, 2018
- A. R. Jatoi, A. Q. Jakhrani, K. C. Mukwana, A. N. Laghari, M. M. Tunio, Study of Physicochemical Properties of Commercial Drinking Bottled Water Brands , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 8 No. 6 (2018): December, 2018
- S. H. Soomro, M. Sanaullah, N. Zaman, A. Q. Laghari, N. B. Jalbani, K. Mirza, E. A. Abbasi, Synthesis and Characterization of Poly(styrene)-block-Poly(acrylic acid) and Organoclay Based Hybrid Composite Materials , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 8 No. 5 (2018): October, 2018