Wear Analysis of a Ti-5Al-3V-2.5Fe Alloy Using a Factorial Design Approach and Fractal Geometry
This paper describes the application of the full factorial experimental design technique to confirm the significance of the factors affecting the wear behavior of a recycled Ti-5Al-3V-2.5Fe alloy with a minimum number of experiments. The fractal theory has been used to describe the worn surface state and to investigate the relationship between the fractal dimensions and the surface morphology. The experiments of the sliding wear have been performed under stresses in the range of 1-5 MPa and within sliding velocities range of 0.2–2.0 m/s. Morphology of the worn surfaces investigations has been undertaken using a scanning electron microscope. From the analysis of variance and the nonlinear regression model, the results show that the applied stress has a higher contribution to the wear rate than the sliding velocity.
I. Gurrappa, “Characterization of titanium alloy Ti-6Al-4V for chemical, marine and industrial applications”, Materials Characterization Vol. 51, No. 2-3, pp. 131-139, 2003
I. V. Gorynin, “Titanium alloys for marine application”, Materials Science and Engineering: A, Vol. 263, No. 2, pp. 112-116, 1999
J. Bauer, S. Cella, M. Pinto, J. Costa, A. Reis, A. Loguercio, “The use of recycled metal in dentistry: Evaluation of mechanical properties of titanium waste recasting”, Resources, Conservation and Recycling, Vol. 54, No. 12, pp. 1312-1316, 2010
P. Jiang, X. He, X. Li, L. Yu, H. Wang, “Wear resistance of a laser surface alloyed Ti–6Al–4V alloy”, Surface and Coatings Technology, Vol. 130, No. 1, pp. 24–28, 2000
C. Martini, L. Ceschini, “A comparative study of the tribological behaviour of PVD coatings on the Ti-6Al-4V alloy”, Tribology International Vol. 44, No. 3, pp. 297–308, 2011
P. Veronesi, S. Gaiani, E. Colombini, G. Poli, R. Tisu, “Recycling of alpha-titanium technological scrap for exhaust system parts manufacturing”, Journal of Cleaner Production Vol. 53, pp. 332-340, 2013
P. Luo, D. McDonald, S. Zhu, S. Palanisamy, M. Dargusch, K. Xia, “Analysis of microstructure and strengthening in pure titanium recycled from machining chips by equal channel angular pressing using electron backscatter diffraction”, Materials Science and Engineering: A, Vol. 538, pp. 252-258, 2012
P. Luo, D. McDonald, S. Palanisamy, M. Dargusch, K. Xia, “Ultrafine-grained pure Ti recycled by equal channel angular pressing with high strength and good ductility”, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 213, No. 3, pp. 469-476, 2013.
A. El-Morsy, “Microstructural characterization of Ti-6Al-4V machining chips after remelting and bulk hot deformation”, Materials & Design, Vol. 30, No. 5, pp. 1825-1829, 2009
H. Attar, K. Prashanth, A. Chaubey, M. Calin, L. Zhang, S. Scudino, J. Eckert, “Comparison of wear properties of commercially pure titanium prepared by selective laser melting and casting processes”, Materials Letters, Vol. 142, pp. 38-41, 2015
Q. Wang, P. Zhang, D. Wei, X. Chen, R. Wang, H. Wang, K. Feng, “Microstructure and sliding wear behavior of pure titanium surface modified by double-glow plasma surface alloying with Nb”, Materials & Design, Vol. 52, pp. 265-273, 2013
K. Chen, Y. Zhou, X. Li, Q. Zhang, L. Wang, S. Wang, “Investigation on wear characteristics of a titanium alloy/steel tribo-pair”, Materials & Design, Vol. 65, pp. 65-73, 2015
L. Mohan, C. Anandan, “Wear and corrosion behavior of oxygen implanted biomedical titanium alloy Ti–13Nb–13Zr”, Applied Surface Science, Vol. 282, pp. 281-290, 2013
B. Ganesh, W. Sha, N. Ramanaiah, A. Krishnaiah, “Effect of shot peening on sliding wear and tensile behavior of titanium implant alloys”, Materials & Design, Vol. 56, pp. 480-486, 2014
Y. Shen, X. Liu, X. Yuan, “Fractal Dimension of Irregular Region of Interest Application to Corn Phenology Characterization”, IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 1402-1412, 2017
L. Ribeiro, A. Horovistiz, G. Jesuino, L. Hein, N. Abbade, S. Crnkovic, “Fractal analysis of eroded surfaces by digital image processing”, Materials Letters, Vol. 56, No. 4, pp. 512–517, 2002
C. Yuan, J. Li, X. Yan, Z. Peng, “The use of the fractal description to characterize engineering surfaces and wear particles”, Wear, Vol. 255, No. 1-6, pp. 315–326, 2003
A. W. El-Morsy, “Dry sliding wear behavior of hot deformed magnesium AZ61 alloy as influenced by the sliding conditions”, Materials Science and Engineering: A, Vol. 473, No. 1-2, pp. 330-335, 2008
K. Liu, M. Ostadhassan, “Multi-scale fractal analysis of pores in shale rocks”, Journal of Applied Geophysics, Vol. 140, pp. 1–10, 2017
MetricsAbstract Views: 334
PDF Downloads: 126
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain the copyright and grant the journal the right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) after its publication in ETASR with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- A. W. El-Morsy, M. Ghanem, H. Bahaitham, Effect of Friction Stir Welding Parameters on the Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of AA2024-T4 Aluminum Alloy , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 8 No. 1 (2018): February, 2018
- F. A. Khadra, A. W. El-Morsy, Prediction of Springback in the Air Bending Process Using a Kriging Metamodel , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 6 No. 5 (2016): October, 2016