A Probabilistic Approach for the Evaluation of Fault Detection Schemes in Microgrids
An important challenge in protection of a microgrid is the process of fault detection, considering the uncertainties in its topologies. Equally important is the evaluation of proposed methods as their incorrect performances could result in unreasonable power outages. In this paper, a new fault detection and characterization method is introduced and evaluated subject to the uncertainties of network topologies. The features of three-phase components together with the positive, negative and zero sequences of current and voltage waveforms are derived to detect the occurrence of a fault, its location, type and the engaged phases. The proposed method is independent of the microgrid topology. To evaluate the performance of the proposed method in various network topologies, a Monte Carlo scheme is developed. This is done by computing the expected energy not-supplied reliability index and the percentage of successful performance of the fault detection. Simulation results show that the proposed method can detect faults in various microgrid topologies with a very high degree of accuracy.
T. Liang, C. Schwaegerl, S. Narayanan, Z. Jian Hui, “From laboratory Microgrid to real markets - Challenges and opportunities”, IEEE 8th International Conference on Power Electronics and ECCE Asia (ICPE & ECCE), pp. 264-271, 2011
T. S. Ustun, C. Ozansoy, A. Zayegh, “Modeling of a Centralized Microgrid Protection System and Distributed Energy Resources According to IEC 61850-7-420”, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 27, pp. 1560-1567, 2012
W. Jiang, Z.-y. He, Z. Bo, “The Overview of Research on Microgrid Protection Development”, International Conference in Intelligent System Design and Engineering Application, pp. 692-697, 2010
A. A. Memon and K. Kauhaniemi, “A critical review of AC Microgrid protection issues and available solutions”, Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 129, pp. 23-31, 2015
Z. Kai-Hui, X. Ming-Chao, “Impacts of microgrid on protection of distribution networks and protection strategy of microgrid”, International Conference on in Advanced Power System Automation and Protection (APAP), pp. 356-359, 2011
M. A. Redfern and H. Al-Nasseri, “Protection of micro-grids dominated by distributed generation using solid state converters”, 9th International Conference on Developments in Power System Protection, pp. 670-674, 2008
S. A. Hosseini, H. A. Abyaneh, S. H. H. Sadeghi, F. Razavi, A. Nasiri, “An overview of microgrid protection methods and the factors involved”, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 64, pp. 174-186, 2016
P. Basak, S. Chowdhury, S. Halder nee Dey, S. P. Chowdhury, “A literature review on integration of distributed energy resources in the perspective of control, protection and stability of microgrid”, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 16, pp. 5545-5556, 2012
H. Al-Nasseri, M. A. Redfern, F. Li, “A voltage based protection for micro-grids containing power electronic converters”, IEEE Power Engineering Society General Meeting, 2006
S. A. Hosseini, H. Askarian Abyaneh, S. H. H. Sadeghi, F. Razavi, M. Karami, “Presenting a new method for identifing fault location in microgrids, using harmonic impedance”, Iranian Journal of Science and Technology, Vol. 39, pp. 167-182, 2015
A. M. El-Zonkoly, “Fault diagnosis in distribution networks with distributed generation”, Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 81, pp. 1482-1490, 2011
S. A. Saleh, R. Ahshan, M. A. Rahman, M. S. A. Khaizaran, B. Alsayed, “Implementing and testing d-q WPT-based digital protection for micro-grid systems”, IEEE Industry Applications Society Annual Meeting (IAS), pp. 1-8, 2011
S. R. Samantaray, G. Joos, I. Kamwa, “Differential energy based microgrid protection against fault conditions”, IEEE PES in Innovative Smart Grid Technologies (ISGT), pp. 1-7, 2012
H. Al-Nasseri and M. A. Redfern, “Harmonics content based protection scheme for Micro-grids dominated by solid state converters”, 12th International Middle-East in Power System Conference, pp. 50-56, 2008
M. Petit, X. Le Pivert, L. Garcia-Santander, “Directional relays without voltage sensors for distribution networks with distributed generation: Use of symmetrical components”, Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 80, pp. 1222-1228, 2010
M. A. Zamani, T. S. Sidhu, A. Yazdani, “A protection strategy and microprocessor-based relay for low-voltage microgrids”, IEEE Transactions on Ppower Delivery, Vol. 26, pp. 1873-1883, 2011
R. Billinton, A. Sankarakrishnan, “A comparison of Monte Carlo simulation techniques for composite power system reliability assessment”, IEEE Conference Proceedings on Communications, Power, and Computing in Wescanex 95, Vol. 1, pp. 145-150, 1995
W. K. A. Najy, H. H. Zeineldin, W. L. Woon, “Optimal protection coordination for microgrids with grid-connected and islanded capability”, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 60, pp. 1668-1677, 2013
G. Wacker, R. Billinton, “Customer cost of electric service interruptions”, IEEE Proceedings, Vol. 77, pp. 919-930, 1989
M. Gilvanejad, H. A. Abyaneh, K. Mazlumi, “Estimation of the overload-related outages in distribution networks considering the random nature of the electrical loads”, IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, Vol. 7, pp. 855-865, 2013
MetricsAbstract Views: 495
PDF Downloads: 161
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain the copyright and grant the journal the right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) after its publication in ETASR with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- A. Safaei, S. H. Hosseinian, H. Askarian Abyaneh, Enhancing the HVRT and LVRT Capabilities of DFIG-based Wind Turbine in an Islanded Microgrid , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 7 No. 6 (2017): December, 2017
- N. Bayati, S. H. H. Sadeghi, A. Hosseini, Optimal Placement and Sizing of Fault Current Limiters in Distributed Generation Systems Using a Hybrid Genetic Algorithm , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 7 No. 1 (2017): Februay, 2017
- N. Khodabakhshi-Javinani, H. Askarian Abyaneh, Evaluation of Moving Average Window Technique as Low-pass Filter in Microprocessor-Based Protecting Relays , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 7 No. 6 (2017): December, 2017