Determination of Potential Tidal Power Sites at East Malaysia
Tidal range energy is one of the most predictable and reliable sources of renewable energy. This study’s main aim is to determine potential sites for tidal range power in East Malaysia, by analyzing tidal range distributions and resources and the feasibility of constructing barrages. Investigation was conducted in 34 sites, estimating their potential energy outputs and studying their areas for constructing barrages. Only 18 sites were marked as appropriate for constructing a tidal range energy extraction barrage. The highest potential power was found in Tanjung Manis, and its maximum capacity was calculated as 50.7kW. The second highest potential of tidal power extraction was found in Kuching Barrage at Pending, where an energy harvester could produce electric power up to 33.1kW.
A. S. Bahaj, “Generating electricity from the oceans,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 3399–3416, Sep. 2011, doi: 10.1016/j.rser.2011.04.032.
L. Myers and A. S. Bahaj, “Simulated electrical power potential harnessed by marine current turbine arrays in the Alderney Race,” Renewable Energy, vol. 30, no. 11, pp. 1713–1731, Sep. 2005, doi: 10.1016/j.renene.2005.02.008.
O. B. Yaakob, Y. M. Ahmed, M. N. Bin Mazlan, K.E. Jaafar, R. M. Raja Muda, “Model Testing of an Ocean Wave Energy System for Malaysian Sea,” World Applied Sciences Journal, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 667–671, 2013, doi: 10.5829/idosi.wasj.2013.22.05.2848.
“East Asia/Southeast Asia: Malaysia – The World Factbook”, Central Intelligence Agency, https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/resources/the-world-factbook/geos/my.html (accessed Jul. 1, 2020).
S. M. Shafie, T. M. I. Mahlia, H. H. Masjuki, and A. Andriyana, “Current energy usage and sustainable energy in Malaysia: A review,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 15, no. 9, pp. 4370–4377, Dec. 2011, doi: 10.1016/j.rser.2011.07.113.
K. N. A. Maulud, O. A. Karim, K. Sopian, S. N. F. A. Aziz, “Determination of Tidal Energy Resource Location in East Coast of Peninsular Malaysia Using Geographical Information System,” in Proceedings of the 3rd WSEAS International Conference on Energy Planning, Energy Saving, Environmental Education (EPESE ’09), Jul. 2009, pp. 25–31.
G. N. Tiwari and M. K. Ghosal, Renewable Energy Resources: Basic Principles and Applications. Harrow, UK: Alpha Science International, 2005.
W. K. Lee, “Reliability of combined regional tidal power generation in Malaysia,” International Sustainability and Civil Engineering Journal, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 48–58, 2012.
M. Álvarez, V. Ramos, R. Carballo, N. Arean, M. Torres, and G. Iglesias, “The influence of dredging for locating a tidal stream energy farm,” Renewable Energy, vol. 146, pp. 242–253, Feb. 2020, doi: 10.1016/j.renene.2019.06.125.
M. Mestres, M. Griñó, J. P. Sierra, and C. Mösso, “Analysis of the optimal deployment location for tidal energy converters in the mesotidal Ria de Vigo (NW Spain),” Energy, vol. 115, pp. 1179–1187, Nov. 2016, doi: 10.1016/j.energy.2016.06.055.
M. Wosnik, I. Gagnon, K. Baldwin, E. Bell, “The ‘living bridge’ project: Tidal energy conversion at an estuarine bridge powering sustainable smart infrastructure,” presented at the 5th Marine Energy Technology Symposium (METS), Washington, DC, USA, May 2017.
M. R. Hassan, Royal Malaysia Navy, 2nd ed. 2009.
Sarawak Hourly and High & Low Tide Tables: Including Standard Ports of Sabah. Director of Marine Sarawak, Malaysia, 2012.
I. Penesis et al., “Tidal energy in Australia – assessing resource and feasibility to Australia’s future energy mix,” presented at the 4th Asian Wave and Tidal Energy Conference (AWTEC 2018), Taipei, Taiwan, Sep. 2018.
A. A. Mahessar, A. N. Laghari, S. Qureshi, I. A. Siming, A. L. Qureshi, and F. A. Shaikh, “Environmental Impact Assessment of the Tidal Link Failure and Sea Intrusion on Ramsar Site No. 1069,” Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 4148–4153, Jun. 2019.
M. L. Tuballa and M. L. S. Abundo, “Operational Impact of RES Penetration on a Remote Diesel-Powered System in West Papua, Indonesia,” Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 2963–2968, Jun. 2018.
MetricsAbstract Views: 50
PDF Downloads: 41
Copyright (c) 2020 Authors
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain the copyright and grant the journal the right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) after its publication in ETASR with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- A. N. Laghari, Z. A. Siyal, D. K. Bangwar, M. A. Soomro, G. D. Walasai, F. A. Shaikh, Groundwater Quality Analysis for Human Consumption: A Case Study of Sukkur City, Pakistan , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 8 No. 1 (2018): February, 2018
- A. N. Laghari, G. D. Walasai, A. R. Jatoi, F. A. Shaikh, Z. A. Siyal, Performance Analysis of Water Filtration Units for Reduction of pH, Turbidity, Solids and Electricity Conductivity , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 8 No. 4 (2018): August, 2018
- A. Detho, S. R. Samo, K. C. Mukwana, K. A. Samo, A. A. Siyal, Evaluation of Road Traffic Accidents (RTAs) on Hyderabad Karachi M-9 Motorway Section , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 8 No. 3 (2018): June, 2018
- A. A. Khaskheli, G. D. Walasai, A. S. Jamali, Q. B. Jamali, Z. A. Siyal, A. Mengal, Performance Evaluation of Locally-Produced Waste Cooking Oil Biodiesel with Conventional Diesel Fuel , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 8 No. 6 (2018): December, 2018
- A. N. Laghari, M. A. Soomro, Z. A. Siyal, S. H. Sandilo, T. A. Soomro, Water Availability in Snow Dominated Regions under Projected Climatic Variability: A Case Study of Alpine Catchment, Austria , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 8 No. 2 (2018): April, 2018
- A. N. Laghari, Z. A. Siyal, M. A. Soomro, D. K. Bangwar, A. J. Khokhar, H. L. Soni, Quality Analysis of Urea Plant Wastewater and its Impact on Surface Water Bodies , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 8 No. 2 (2018): April, 2018
- A. A. Siyal, S. R. Samo, Z. A. Siyal, K. C. Mukwana, S. A. Jiskani, A. Mengal, Assessment of Air Pollution by PM10 and PM2.5 in Nawabshah City, Sindh, Pakistan , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 9 No. 1 (2019): February, 2019